Historic Museum Buildings

Situated alongside the railway tracks that were once Strathclair's lifeblood, the Museum consists of the Manitoba and Northwestern (M & NW) Railway Station and the St. George's Anglican Church. The station is a wooden structure built in 1900 that faces onto the town's Main Street. The Anglican church, which was moved onto the site, is a typical modest Gothic Revival building dating from 1913. The municipal designation as historic sites applies to the railway station and church buildings. The blacksmith shop building houses a blacksmith's forge as well as tools and many other agricultural implements.

Heritage Value

The two historic buildings that comprise the Strathclair Museum are typical examples of the architectural character from the turn of the twentieth century. The Strathclair M & NW Railway Station is representative of dozens of similar facilities that appeared in small villages as rail lines were rapidly extending throughout southern Manitoba in the early 1900s. Built by the Manitoba and Northwestern Railway Co. from a standard plan, and later operated by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR), this combined station-residence is modest in size and appointments. Itnonetheless has served as an economic, physical and social hub in Strathclair, and as a symbol of civic pride. St. George's Anglican Church, with its wood frame construction and basic Gothic Revival architecture, inside and out, recalls the simple faith and limited resources that accompanied religious life in rural communities.

Source: Rural Municipality of Strathclair By-law No. 3-2003, April 9, 2003

Railway Station

The Main Museum Building has retained, as much as possible the original M & NW Railway Co. design & layout.

This includes the:

- Long rectangular freight shed with annex currently used to house a variety of artifacts

- Station Agent's office with various original equipment

- Station Waiting room which now serves as the Museum's entrance & reception area

- Station Residence Kitchen, Parlour and upstairs bedrooms with period appropriate furnishings and equipment

St. George's Anglican Church

This church was moved from its original location and contains most of the furnishings and appointments from when it was a community church.

Each July a multi-denominational service is held including hymns sung to the accompaniment of an original pump organ.

The Blacksmith Shop

This building is situated on the original site of Sam Millman's Blacksmith shop and contains a blacksmith's forge and tools as well as many other early examples of farm tools and implements.

The Bandstand

Situated off-site at the Strathclair Fair Grounds this bandstand is over a century old and is currently being restored. It was originally located at Green's Beach, Salt Lake now owned by the Gamey Family. In the early part of the century this beach and cottage area was an active summer resort with many parties, dances and recreational activities.




© The Strathclair Museum Association | Strathclair Manitoba